Clementine & Almond Cake
Happy Birthday to me!
I AM ANOTHER YEAR WISER & HAPPIER!
On my birthday I want to share with you one of my favourites cakes ever. I go gaga with citrusy flavours in desserts and this one is just that.
This Clementine and Almond Cake is so deliciously moist and the almond gives a beautiful texture that is rich yet light to eat. What I love most about this cake is that it uses the whole clementine – skin, pith and all which adds to the lovely tang to the flavour. The fruit is boiled whole to reduce the bitterness. And bonus it has no added fat or flour which makes it totally gluten-free. The recipe calls for 4 major ingredients and very easy to remember.
3 medium-sized clementine’s
225 gms white sugar
250 gms ground almonds
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Boil the clementine’s in a pan for approximately 2 hours. When soft and tender, drain it and leave to cool. You can also replace with oranges or mandarins instead.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease and line an 8-inch round springform tin with parchment paper.
- Transfer the whole clementine’s into a food processor and blitz until pureed.
- Add the eggs, almond flour, baking powder and sugar to the food processor and mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake at 170ºC for approximately 45 mins. Check for doneness using a toothpick or knife until it comes out clean.
- If you see the top browning quicker cover with foil after about 35 minutes of baking.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the cake tin, on a rack for at least 2 hours or overnight.
My patience doesn’t allow me to wait for it to cool so I love eating this warm. Hope you love this as much as I do. Do try it and fill your home with the gorgeous aroma of freshly baked clementine & almond cake.
Wish you all a great week.
Do visit my Facebook page My Culinary Saga and Like the page to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love and Hugs,