Kothimbir Vadi (Coriander Fritters)
Kothimbir Vadi are basically fritters made of coriander leaves and is a very popular Maharashtrian snack. ‘Kothimbir’ in Marathi refers to Coriander Leaves and ‘Vadi’ means fritters. It’s crispy texture on the outside and soft inside, makes it irresistible and lip smacking. Every household in Maharasthra has their version of making this, here I share mine. Traditionally coriander leaves are combined with chick pea flour along with aromatic spices, steamed, cooled, cut and then fried.
It’s a perfect evening snack that can be served with ginger tea Do try this scrumptious gluten free and vegan snack.
1 bunch coriander leaves or 2 cups loosely packed
2 green chilies
½ inch ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 cup gram flour or chickpea flour
¼ cup rice flour
2 tbsp oil
⅛ tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Red chili powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
½ tsp Coriander powder
2 tsp Sesame seeds
salt to taste
4 tbsp Water
Oil for deep frying
- Pluck the coriander leaves and discard the stems. Wash the leaves and spread the washed leaves on the kitchen or paper towel. Pat dry the leaves to remove as much moisture as you can
- Chop the cilantro leaves and keep them aside
- Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic, green chilies without adding any water
- In a big bowl add chopped cilantro, chickpea, rice flour, salt, baking soda, prepared chilli paste, spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder) and sesame seeds in a bowl
- Heat 2 tbsp oil till it smokes and add it to the flour mixture. Once cool rub the oil thoroughly using your fingers till you get a crumbly mix
- Add little water at a time and knead into a dough. Apply oil on your palm and knead into a smooth dough
- Prepare the steamer by adding water and let it come to a simmer. Grease the steamer plate with oil
- Press the dough into the greased plate evenly
- Steam for 15 – 18 minutes. Check for done-ness by inserting a knife or toothpick in the center. It should come out clean.
- Remove it from the steamer, let it cool to touch, then slice into squares
- Deep fry or shallow fry them into oil till they are light golden brown crispy from both sides.
- Transfer onto a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil
- Serve hot with Mint & Coriander Chutney
Do try this and do not forget to like, comment and share if you like what you see here.
Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Have a lovely week.
Love & Hugs,