Eggless Sponge Cake with Creamcheese and Fruits
I am back again! The past few months have been a roller coaster with hectic work schedules, rampant travel schedules of my husband and numerous signed up activities for kids. I have been all over – trust me! Needless to say blogging was side-lined. Sometimes I wish I had more than 24 hours in my hand to do what I had planned to each day. However I must take this opportunity to thank all my readers and followers for being in touch and sending numerous requests to create simple and easy recipes. Top of the charts was an Eggless version of the Sponge cake. My Classic Sponge Cake recipe has been the most visited page and many readers wanted an eggless version of it.
I did cover the Eggless Lemon Cake where I promised to introduce different ways to bake a perfect sponge without eggs. This other method I feel is fool-proof and much easier to achieve. Also because this doesn’t have yogurt in it – it is sometimes difficult to specify the consistency of yogurt one uses and that might differ the texture of the cake. I stumbled upon this recipe on Tarla Dalal’s website 6 years ago when I first moved to Denmark. There has been no turning back since. This recipe has been a hit always and sometimes hard to believe that it is eggless. Please follow each step diligently 🙂
I use this method quite often and the result is always a soft, moist cake. It is quick and easy to make, and can be dressed up with topping of your choice for an impressive dessert.
200 g sweetened condensed milk
140 g or 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
60 g or 1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp vinegar
75 ml or 1/3 cup milk
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees C.
- Grease and prepare a 9 inch tin. I chose a broader base here but you could use a 7inch tin instead if you want the cake to be higher.
- Meanwhile sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Whisk together in a separate bowl the condensed milk, melted butter, vinegar, vanilla essence, and milk
- Fold in the flour mixture gently with a spatula just until well combined. Ensure no flour pockets are left un-stirred at the base of the bowl. Again it is important that we do not overwork the batter here.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tin.
- Bake 170 degrees C for 20 -25 minutes. The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch. You can do a toothpick test instead to be sure.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool it completely.
Now I could just stop here and dig into a warm cake. But why miss the fun when you can step it up and take it to another level 🙂 I made a simple creamcheese frosting and topped it off with fresh fruits.
Ah no, I didn’t even bother to whip the creamcheese 🙂 yeah I can be lazy sometimes. But how does it matter. It tasted great 🙂 Trust me! It is icing on the cake ( oh literally :)), I cut down a ton of fat by eliminating the butter and using reduced fat cream cheese.
FOR THE TOPPING
200g cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Fresh fruits of your choice.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread or pipe over the cooled sponge cake.
- Place cut fruits in concentric circles or as desired to top off the cake.
I do hope you give this a try and do not forget to like, comment and share if you like what you see here. 🙂
Also visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,
23 thoughts on “Eggless Sponge Cake with Creamcheese and Fruits”
I’m so loving this! Gorgeous cake Trupti 😍
My eggless bakes have mostly been horror stories and I’m so wary now 😑
Thanks Garima 🙂 Try this I hope it works well for you 🙂
Wow.. love that fruit deco. Amazing cake with great toppings.
Thank you so much Sri 🙂
Looks fabulous. I made a fresh fruit cake too last week.
Wow 🙂 fresh fruits and cake – in my opinion that’s the best combo 🙂 isn’t it
It sure is. Yours look great
That’s so nice of you 🙂
Reblogged this on MAXIMUSOPTIMUSDOMINUS.
Hey there! how are you today 🙂 thanks again dear!
You are tempting me everyday with your baked beauties! Looks super yumm 🙂
Hehe.. thats the intention:) just like how you tempt me… 😛 do try to attempt some and let me know.. 😛
Woooow so yummy & tempting dear Trupti
Thanks a ton dear Linda :*
So yummy dear ! Looks awesome ! Btw be late birthday wishes to your daughter 🙂
Thanks dear 🙂 will pass on your bday wishes to her for sure 🙂
ohhh!.incredibly beautiful and soooooo yummmy
Thanks a ton! 🙂
Oh yum!! my mum makes a cake just like this but with cream cheese!! Amazing!!
Oh wow 🙂 cream cheese in the cake ?