BANANA BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE BREAD
What if I told you that you could bake a wonderful quick bread out of your morning smoothie? Would that stun you? Don’t be…read on!
My hands itched to bake some bread today. I just had to bake. As I scrambled through my kitchen for ingredients, some ageing apples, overripe bananas and yoghurt stared and screamed back at me to put them to good use. I got down to make myself a quick smoothie instead. I am not really a big fan of banana-based smoothies and try to add more flavour with additional fruits. Blueberries were all that I had. Just as I was to blitz in those blue pearls in, I stopped and wondered if this could turn into the base of baking the bread I initially planned. That’s when I knew instantly that it would be sort of banana bread in the making. Of course, it has to be a healthy bread with the healthiest of ingredients.
Naming this was another dilemma. I could just settle in for the conventional banana blueberry bread. However, when you look at the list of ingredients and you know exactly why this is more than just a banana bread. Here is what I thought of initially before settling in for the title name:
Banana & blueberry bread
Banana and blueberry yoghurt loaf
Honey banana blueberry bread
Honey Banana & applesauce bread with blueberries
None of it really wowed me and if I had to list all the ingredients in the name that would be one long title. That’s when it struck – it’s all those ingredients one would use in a smoothie – made into bread. And that’s how my Smoothie Bread was born. How fantastic is that, isn’t it? Which also means it is so so simple and requires minimal prep. The oven does the magic for you. It is one of my favourites now its healthy with no added sugar. Remember it is a bread and not cake.
It is so moist with just the right amount of blueberries & tender due to the addition of greek yoghurt. This loaf is delicious and perfect with a cup of tea or coffee!
3 ripe bananas
1 apple, peeled and cored
1 cup blueberries
½ cup plain Greek yoghurt
⅓ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla or rum extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a blender add the ripe bananas, apple, eggs, yoghurt, honey, vanilla or rum extract. Blitz them together until you have a smoothie like consistency.
- In another mixing bowl add flour, baking soda and mix evenly together.
- Add blueberries and gently fold into mixture.
- Pour the smoothie over the dry ingredients and fold gently until there are no streaks of flour left.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for approx 50 mins, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy topped with butter and marmalade if desired!
Hope you enjoy this as much I enjoyed creating this.
I am so excited this week for co-hosting FiestaFriday with Angie & Laurena @ Life Diet Health. Do share your lovely recipes and creations at the Fiesta Party this week and remember to link us to your posts so we can visit you.
Do subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,