Beetroot Alle Belle(Goan Coconut Pancakes)
Alle Belle or Goan Coconut Pancakes is a traditional tea time pancake stuffed with Coconut and Jaggery. These absolutely delicate, delicious and melt in the mouth. I have seen variations of these pancakes in the south of India where coconut is in abundance.
If you haven’t noticed already, I am adding colour and flavour to my dishes with beetroot lately and how could I miss it here. These beautiful pancakes needed a pink hue. So here is my Beetroot Alle Belle.
India has many styles of pancake both sweet and savoury. One such pancake is Alle belle which I think means ‘everything beautiful’.
I have to admit; this pancake is truly beautiful. I have lovely memories of having this as a child and associate my class teacher from 3rd standard to have introduced these to my family. Since then, it has been a regular at home.
Made this one eggless but you can add one if you like. Here is how to make Beetroot Alle Belle.
Ingredients for the pancake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 milk or vegan milk
¼ cup beetroot juice or substitute with water
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
Ingredients for the stuffing:
160 gms fresh/frozen grated coconut
100gms grated jaggery
½ tsp cardamom powder
½ tsp salt
To make the pancakes:
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients to make the pancake until everything is well combined. Set aside
- Warm a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Scoop the batter onto the pan, then tip and rotate it to spread the batter as thinly as possible.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes on one side. Then flip it and cook it for another minute.
- Repeat to make more pancakes until there is no more batter left
To make the Stuffing:
- In a pan, cook the coconut and jaggery on a medium flame until all the jaggery melts and come together.
- Remove the stuffing to a plate and let it cool.
To make the rolls:
- Place one tablespoon of stuffing in the middle of the pancake
- Wrap it from both sides to make sure the stuffing is locked in nicely.
- Now roll it to make parcels.
- Repeat it with the remaining pancakes and stuffing
Enjoy with some tea. 🙂
For more pancake recipes:
Do try this and do not forget to like, comment and share if you like what you see here. Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,