Brown Sugar Toffee Cake
Yum Yum Yum!! Forgive me for I cannot stop eating this delicious cake and I have my mouthful eating it; as I type this. But I gotta tell you, that this cake will get you smacking your lips and wanting more. So why did I bake a cake? Well, for starters, do you need a reason or occasion to bake? No, right!!! Second, I will not deny it. I’m a cake girl. And it makes me so happy to bake a cake. And most people seem to like my cakes. So it’s a win win right 🙂
Back to the recipe – I love this recipe for it’s the simplicity, flavour and look. Do not underestimate the power of a simple cake. This definitely is another crowd pleaser. This cake is so incredibly moist and delicious given that there is yogurt in it. Those sweet & salty toffee pieces thrown into the batter makes everything taste so much better. Do give it a try.
2 cups or 220g all-purpose flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine salt
½ cup or 113g unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup or 115g granulated sugar
¼ cup packed or 50g dark brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup or 250ml greek yogurt
½ cup toffee bits
- As always, set your ingredients together at the counter; bring to room temperature.
- Pre heat oven at 170 degrees C
- Grease a 8inch round baking tin.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. This will take approx. 4 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and scrape it down the sides after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and yogurt in alternate additions, mixing well between additions and ending with the flour mixture. Do not overmix.
- Finally add the toffee bits and give it one last stir.
- Spread the batter in the pan evenly.
- Bake, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approx. 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve as is or with your with buttercream or cream cheese frosting. You can check my Classic Buttercream recipe here. I made a bigger batch and sandwiched the cakes with some cream cheese frosting.
Delicious with a cuppa of coffee. 🙂 hope you enjoy it!
Do give this a try and let me know how it turns out. If you send me a snapshot of your creation; I shall include it in the Reader’s testimonial Album on my facebook page.