This mouthwatering chicken curry drenched in coconut base and seasoned with kachampuli ( black vinegar) is very unique to the character of Coorg. This versatile curry goes well with possibly anything you can think of – rice, akki rotis, kadambuttu, paputtu, bread, dosas, idlis, appams, etc – The list is endless but best and most frequently combined with nuputtu ( steamed rice noodles made from scratch). If you love Coorg and it’s cuisine, this quick and delicious curry will definitely please your platter 🙂
1/2 kg chicken, cut in small pieces and washed
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp kachampuli (black vinegar) or 1 tsp tamarind extract
Salt to taste
1 cup medium sized onion, chopped
Coriander leaves for garnish
FOR MASALA PASTE:
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2″ piece cinnamon
1 tsp poppy seeds, roasted
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
4 green chilies
1 cup fresh/frozen coconut, cut into small pieces or grated
- Marinate chicken in red chili powder and turmeric set it aside for 30mins minimum. Overnight is better 🙂 Chicken with bones is a good option for this curry.
- The next step is to prepare the raw masala paste. In a mixer jar, add in all ingredients – coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves ginger, garlic, green chilies, roasted poppy seeds. Grind together adding little water to make a paste. – less than ½ cup.
- In a large pan, heat oil and fry onions till golden brown.
- Then add the fresh raw masala paste and fry till the raw smell goes off. You know it is ready when you get a nice aroma and oil on the sides ooze out.
- Now add the chicken pieces, salt to taste and fry for about 5mins.
- Once the colour of chicken pieces change, add 2 cups of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook the chicken on low heat till tender approx. 15 minutes
- Once the chicken is cooked add the kachampuli extract or tamarind extract as a substitute.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Enjoy with Akki Roti / Kadambuttu or steamed white rice.
Love & Hugs,