This flavoured and healthy Mexican rice recipe is prepared with tomatoes and vegetable stock. Also, it is loaded with dietary fibre and healthy proteins. A popular dish in Mexico and Spain.
I do not claim this recipe is totally authentic more a spinoff of the original recipe. I make mine less mushy and with less tomato, but nonetheless tastes great. I suggest playing around with it to make it your own.
I love it as it is a one-pot meal and so flavourful. Here is how to make Mexican Rice my way:
1 cup Basmati rice
2 tbsp oil
½ onion, finely chopped
½ can of red kidney beans
1 tomato, chopped or 1/4 cup tomato puree
1 small carrot, finely chopped
2 tbsp corn
3 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 cups veg stock/water
1 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp coriander/spring onions, finely chopped for garnish
- In a pot, add2 tbsp olive oil and toast 1 cup of basmati rice.
- Toast it on low flame for 5 minutes or till you get a nutty aroma and the rice turns golden brown.
- Now add the onion, tomato & garlic and saute for few mins until the raw smell of garlic and tomatoes disappear
- Add the beans & vegetables and saute for another 2 minutes, or till vegetables shrink slightly.
- Now add the veg stock, chilli powder, pepper powder, salt and mix well.
- Get the water to a boil on high flame
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the flame and cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked completely.
- Turn off the flame, cover and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with coriander/spring onions and serve. Enjoy
Check out my TRIPLE SCHEZWAN FRIED RICE
Sign up with your email and do subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,