Coorg Mango Curry – Kaad Mange Curry
Hey my lovely peeps,
Summer never really happened this side of the world – it’s been rainy and gloomy most days. However, we were fortunate enough to catch some sun during our summer trip to Prague – enough to soak up for the whole year. What a trip it was – relaxed, slow and fun just as a vacation should be. Not to mention all the food we hogged on and relished. They were our little guilty food pleasures. Occasionally we like to indulge not worrying if it is healthy or not. From beer tasting sessions to gelatos, macarons, chimney cakes and more…the list just got better. There was just so much to try and that’s what awesome vacations are all about right! 🙂
Talking of vacations – The 2 months of school holidays in Coorg have always been on my top list. No holiday abroad no matter how glamorous it sounds can ever replace the joy, memories and innocence of spending time as a kid in Coorg. Walking in the jungles, picking the most delicious but unknown fruits, wild mushrooms and rejoicing the harvests from estates were just some of the highlights from back then. One of my fondest memory is climbing and sitting on mango trees and enjoying the most amazing burst of flavours. Wild mangoes (Kaad Mange) – that’s the taste of organic for me. Cousins and I would collect mangoes that would survive the fall and our hungry stomachs and were handed over to my grandmother to make the most delicious ‘Mange Curry’ on wood fire. You know me and my love affair with mangoes now. I love them in any form and shape. Check my blog for more recipes with mangoes. This is what I know from my gorgeous mother and how she prepares, which is the best ever. I promise you-you will be left slurping for more.
3 semi-ripe wild mangoes / local mangoes
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Cumin powder
1 tbsp grated Jaggery
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 tbsp. Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
a pinch of Fenugreek seeds
4-6 Curry leaves
2-3 cloves of Garlic, crushed or finely sliced
1-2 Green chillies, slit and deseeded
1 medium-sized Onion, sliced thinly
- Wash and slice each mango leaving the skin on. Place the cut mangoes and seeds in a bowl. While using wild mangoes, I prefer to keep the skin on, however, you could decide to peel the mangoes and roughly chop into cubes.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix well and let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds to it and when it sputters, add the green chillies and curry leaves followed by garlic and sliced onions. Fry until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the marinated mangoes and mix well. To this add about a cup of water and cook the mangoes with lid covered on a slow flame for approx 5 minutes.
- Stir and add the jaggery. Mix well again and cook for another 5 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Coorg mango curry or Kaad Mange curry is best served hot with Akki roti or steamed rice. Hope you enjoy this.
Try more such recipes from Coorg here.
Love & hugs,