Sabudana Vada (Gluten Free & Vegan)
Sabudana Vada is a deep-fried Maharashtrian appetizer with tantalizing flavours which makes for a snack or breakfast paired with some green chutney.
If you liked my previous post on Sabudana Khichadi, you will surely love Sabudana Vada. By now, if you followed my recipe to the tee, you must have mastered the art of making Sabudana khicahdi. If not don’t get hassled, practice comes handy. Else try this easy version of making sabudana vada’s to enjoy on a rainy day with a hot cuppa tea.
Sabudana vada has captured the most coveted place in the list of Indian snacks as vegan and gluten free. This snack is also very popularly eaten during fasting days.
Notes: For a healthier version,
- Fry these in an aebleskiver pan / appe pan or
- Bake them at 180 degrees for 35-40 mins. For this lightly oil both sides of the vada with oil. Flip it over mid way until both sides are browned.
½ cup sabudana/Sago
2 potato (medium size), boiled and mashed
3 tbsp coriander chopped
2 tsp green chilli chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sugar
¼ cup peanuts, roasted and crushed
Juice of half lemon
Salt to taste
- Place sabudana/ sago in a colander. Wash it under cold tap water until the water runs clear
- In a big bowl soak sabudana by adding just enough water to cover them. You should see water just approx. ½ inch above the sabudana level
- Soak covered overnight to fluff up. To check done-ness, do a smash test between your fingers. If it breaks easily, the sago has been soaked appropriately
- Add mashed potatoes, cumin seeds, sugar, salt, fresh coriander, green chilli, lemon juice and roasted peanuts to the soaked sabudana in a bowl
- Mix well until well combined
- Lightly oil your hands and make golf sized balls. Flatten slightly between the palms
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil
- Fry the vada’s in hot oil on high heat until golden brown on both sides
- Serve hot with Mint and Coriander Chutney
Enjoy! Sign up with your email and do subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,