If you are anything like me and love to entertain with elegant and classy dishes; this one is a keeper. Add this to your quick and easy entertaining recipe repertoire. All this requires is two ingredients. Yes, literally just two!
Well, more if you decide to make the pesto yourself. You could store bought pesto here; but it is a synch to make at home. I would rather skip the laborious part of making my own puff pastry and buy that instead. : P
1 sheet of rolled puff pastry
½ cup of green pesto:
To make the Pesto:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
3 large garlic cloves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To make the pesto, place the basil leaves and pine nuts into a food processor and pulse it several times. Add the garlic and Parmesan cheese and pulse again. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a spatula.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady small stream. This will help it emulsify and keep the olive oil from separating.
- Occasionally stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Stir in some salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- On a floured surface, using a rolling pin roll the puff pastry to a rectangle.
- Spoon the pesto spreading evenly, leaving a clean 1/2-inch border around the edges.
- Roll up the dough and using a sharp knife, cut the log in two lengthwise leaving one edge uncut for about 1/2 inch at the top. This will give you 3 strands of puff pastry.
- Start braiding the three pieces like a normal pig tail, trying to keep the open layers exposed so the cut ends remain on top (this is what makes this braid effect).Pinch the ends together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown at 180 C.
- Serve this gorgeous pastry warm 🙂
Do try this and do not forget to like, comment and share if you like what you see here. 🙂
Also visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Thanks for visiting.
Love & Hugs,