Kala Chana Chaat / Black Chickpeas Salad
Kala chana chaat or Black Chickpeas Salad is a tangy and tasty snack made using sprouted black chickpeas. This tangy and vibrant salad will transport you to the jostling, colorful and humid streets of India.
This also serves as an excellent starter and can be served both warm and chilled. Black Chickpeas are a powerhouse of nutrients. They are rich in protein, fiber, vitamins, and have a low glycemic index which helps to regulate blood sugar. This Kala chana chaat is healthy and has many benefits:
- no oil
- no sugar
- no fat
- high protein
- low carbs
1 cup dried black chickpea (Kala chana) or 2.5 to 3 cups cooked black chickpeas
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 to 2 green chilies, finely chopped or minced
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon chaat masala
1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice or add as required
½ teaspoon black salt – add more if required
2 tbsp mint & coriander chutney
some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak the dry chickpeas overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Once they are soaked, drain the water.
- Soak the black chickpeas in water either overnight or for about 6 to 8 hours. Drain all the water. Keep it tied in a clean muslin cloth till you see the sprouts coming out.
- Boil the sprouted black chickpeas for 10 mins. Drain the excess water.
- In a bowl, add together the sprouted and boiled black chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, green chilies, chaat masala, dry mango powder, black salt. Mix well.
- Add coriander chutney, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Taste and if required add more of the spice powders or salt.
- Garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
- You can also refrigerate and serve it cold.
- Before serving just garnish with some coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Enjoy! Sign up with your email and do subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Instagram Handle: @my_culinary_saga
Love & Hugs,