Thalipeeth – Multigrain & Glutenfree Flatbread
By far the most humble and comforting foods are the most nutritious foods in an Indian household. One such Maharashtrian snack, Thalipeeth is a powerhouse of nutrition. Thalipeeth is a savoury multi-grain, glutenfree flatbread popular in Western India, made with a blend of spices spiked with onions & chillies and flattened out with the hand to make these amazing little pancakes which will keep you full for hours.
One of the chief physical characteristics of Thalipeeth is a hole made in the centre of the flatbread after the dough has been hand flattened. Once in the pan, oil is dribbled occasionally into the hole while frying to ensure that the Thalipeeth is evenly cooked. Do try this healthy, gluten-free flatbread at home.
1/2 cup jowar or sorghum flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour or besan
1 onion, finely chopped
1-inch ginger, grated
3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Salt- to taste
Oil as needed for shallow frying
Ghee or clarified butter for serving
- Mix all the ingredients except oil together to make a soft pliable dough. Knead and set aside to rest for 15 minutes approx.
- Take a plastic bag or Ziploc bag and lightly oil it. Now take a ball of dough and wet your palms.
- Pat it out flat starting at the middle and slowing pushing it out to form a circle. Let your hands guide the shape and press the dough together if you see it breaking. Since the flour is gluten-free, it is normal for the dough to break.
- Make a hole in the centre. This ensures that the Thalipeeth cooks through evenly
- Now invert the Thalipeeth along with the Ziploc on your hand. Gently remove the Ziploc bag
- Heat a flat skillet on medium flame and transfer the Thalipeeth onto it
- Spread some oil around it and into the hole. Fry on a medium heat on both sides, until both sides are well cooked
- Serve with a dollop of ghee on top, pickle and yoghurt on the side
Do try this and do not forget to like, comment and share if you like what you see here.
Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Have a lovely week.
Love & Hugs,