Lemon Polenta Cake – Gluten Free
Hey my lovely readers, I know it is a month late for a new year wish but nevertheless here’s wishing you all the very best in the coming year. Hope the start has already been great for all of you. Have you noticed a month already flew by.
A month where each of us take stock of and think of changing. It’s a month of making promises to self and resolutions. But I want to set a different tone – a tone where we stop making false promises and feeling miserable when none of the resolutions are fulfilled. Instead I pledge to use my power and strength to do and give something good back to the world.
Personally giving for me brings immense pleasure, satisfaction and produces a positive feeling called as ’helpers high’. And I plan to do more of it this year. Anxiety has become ever-present in our lives. It grows stronger every day. We long for the tension to end and look for solutions. We spend hours looking inwards and causing more harm to self instead. Decide to be Bigger than your problems. You evolve from the obstacles only when you learn to resolve and move on. Inside every challenge is a learning and an opportunity – so look at the bigger picture and instead help someone bring a smile on their face. You will soon realize that your problems are much smaller than someone elses’.
So whether you decide to buy gifts, volunteer, or donate, you’re giving will only help build stronger social connections and a cascade generosity. And don’t be surprised if you find yourself benefiting from a big dose of happiness in the process. Giving is contagious and pass on a smile. It is free 😊
On that note, when life gives you Lemons – make Lemon Polenta Cake 😊 This gluten-free citrus cake is moist, vibrant , simply delicious and a breeze to make.
200g softened butter, room temperature
200g caster sugar
200g ground almonds
100g fine polenta (or cornmeal)
1½ tsp gluten free baking powder
3 large eggs
zest of 2 lemons
FOR THE SYRUP:
juice of 2 lemons
100 ml water
- Grease and line a 9-inch spring-form cake tin with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 160°C Fan
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar till pale and whipped
- Mix together the almond meal, polenta and baking powder, and beat part of this into the butter-sugar mixture, followed by 1 egg. Alternate dry ingredients and eggs, beating all the while. Do not over-mix, else the batter will be dense.
- Finally, add the lemon zest and pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. Test with a skewer, it should come out clean and the edges of the cake will shrink away from the sides of the tin.
- Remove from the oven to a wire cooling rack but leave in its tin.
- Make the syrup by boiling together the lemon juice, sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Once the sugar is dissolved into the juice, let it boil once. Switch off the flame and let it cool a little.
- Prick the top of the cake all over with a skewer and pour the warm syrup over the cake and leave to cool completely before taking it out of its tin.
Enjoy 😊 If you are looking for more gluten free cake options – try these:
Do subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,