Chocolate Victoria Sponge Cake: Layered with Chocolate mousse and topped with chocolate ganache & cherries!
Every day is just another day. And yet, it is not. Especially when it is a birthday.
Birthdays are amazing right! It is really just an opportunity for your closest friends and family to come together and congratulate your presence for another year. And no celebration is complete without a cake. This Chocolate Victoria Sponge is really one of the most regular bakes in my kitchen not just for birthdays but also for those after dinner cravings 🙂 I jazzed up this chocolate cake for my husband who celebrated his 36th birthday recently. I layered this simple chocolate cake with chocolate mousse and topped with rich chocolate ganache and cherries. Rich, decadent and fit for a king! For my special one who totally deserves it.
Here is the recipe:
For the Cake:
225 g Butter or Margarine
225 g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs, at room temperature
175 g All Purpose Flour, Sieved
50g Cocoa Powder
1 rounded tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp milk
1/4 tsp coffee powder
Fresh cherries for garnish
For the Ganache icing
150g/5oz dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
150ml/5fl oz double cream
For the Chocolate Mousse
100g bar good quality plain chocolate
200ml double cream
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line two 8 inch round tins.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little flour.
- Fold in the remaining flour, baking powder and the cocoa powder with a metal spoon.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in warm milk and add it to the batter. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for approx. 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate mousse. Start by melting the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Heat the milk until boiling, then whisk in melted chocolate. Leave to cool.
- Whip 150ml of cream until soft peak stage, then fold into cooled chocolate. Mousse is now ready. Keep it chilled until ready to layer
- To prepare the ganache, measure the chocolate and cream together in a bowl and stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water for about 10 minutes, or until melted. Stir from time to time. Set aside and leave until cool and almost set.
- To assemble the cake – layer the mousse on one of the chocolate cake. Top with second chocolate cake.
- Then ice the cake with ganache. Decorate and garnish with fresh cherries.
- Dust the top of the cake lightly with the sieved icing sugar & enjoy.
Do try this and do not forget to like, comment and share if you like what you see here. Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Have a lovely week ahead.
Love & Hugs,