CHOCOLATE WHISKEY CAKE WITH CARAMEL GLAZE
Does anyone of you ever like to sit by a window and stare at the rain or is it just me.? Did you know the smell of rain can help reduce stress and cheer you up, upto a 60%?
As I sat by my kitchen window watching the rain, I was thinking of cozying up in bed with hot tea and stay there forever. My lazy plans were quickly shattered as I jumped out of my skin with the biggest crack of thunder ever and flashes of lightning by my window.
The storm may lash torrents of rain and crash lighting and roar thunder but I am safe under my sturdy shelter where is there is only peace and quiet. I wanted to enjoy the moment but all it missed was a cup of tea and some cake alongside 🙂
So, I did just that. I suddenly felt a strong urge to bake so I headed to the kitchen to do just that. What better than the smell of freshly baked cake and rain together, right? – that is a 100% stress buster for sure.
A chocolate cake is what I craved for today and as I gathered ingredients from my pantry, decided this should be extra special. It is also my husband’s birthday today – so, I ran up to the bar to steal some scotch from my husbands’ collection. 🙂 (OK!!! guilty as charged but he will have the whiskey in the cake anyway.)
You guessed right, it’s a delicious moist chocolate whiskey cake and topped with some warm caramel sauce. This one again is so easy to rustle up in one bowl and a crowd pleaser. I didn’t even bring out my stand mixer for this. Since hubby is away on a business trip, birthday celebrations are postponed to the weekend. The greedy me wanted one ASAP, so I baked a small portion of it separately so I could enjoy it with my tea right away 🙂
I made a similar cake for his birthday 2 years ago but then had a slab of ice-cream sandwiched in between. It was a hit even then – wish I could share photos of it but my stomach cringes to see how terrible my food photos looked back then. And my apologies to all those who requested the whiskey cake recipe back then for I have been lazy to pen it down. Finally today, it’s done. The weather cleared as I wrote this and the cake went out for a photosession in the sun 🙂
Hope you give this one a try and like it as much.
56 g bittersweet chocolate
1 cup or 125 g unsweetened Cocoa
1 cup or 250 ml boiling water
1 3/4 cups or 350 g of sugar
1 cup or 240 ml of vegetable oil
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp or 15 ml vanilla extract
2 tbsp or 30 ml Whiskey
1 ¼ cups or 150 g of flour
1 tsp or 5 ml tsp salt
1 tsp or 5 ml baking soda
For the Caramel Glaze:
1 cup or 200 g white sugar
1/2 cup or 120 ml heavy cream at room temperature
¼ tsp or 1.75 ml salt
¼ cup or 30 g toffee bits or almond slivers for decoration
- Preheat oven to 175 C degrees. Grease a bundt cake pan with cooking spray. You could use any cake pan of your choice here.
- In a large bowl, add the chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour over hot boiling water and whisk well to combine.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract and sugar at this point and whisk well to combine.Add eggs one at the time and whisk until smooth. Make sure the batter is not hot while adding eggs. Finally mix in the whiskey. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture in parts to the chocolate mixture, stirring gently with a wire whisk in a figure 8 pattern, just until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Tap on counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 40 – 45 mins, or until a long toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
FOR CARAMEL GLAZE:
- Heat sugar in a deep, heavy duty pot. Swirl and stir gently until sugar melted and caramelized.
- Add room temperature heavy cream, and keep stirring until it settles down into a nice smooth mixture. Turn off flame, add salt and stir until combined.
- Turn out bundt cake onto a cooling rack, fitted into a sheet pan to help catch the caramel drippings while glazing the cake
- Ladle over the caramel over the top of the cake in sections, allowing it to form drips on the side. Top with almond slivers or toffee bits.
- Allow cake to “set” for 1 hour before transferring to a cake stand.
Enjoy 🙂 I am sharing this at Fiesta Friday with Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook and Ai @ Ai Made It For You.
Do subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,
38 thoughts on “CHOCOLATE WHISKEY CAKE WITH CARAMEL GLAZE”
Here’s wishing your husband a very happy birthday 🙂 Cake looks delicious! And yes, I cringe at my photos too from few years ago 😀
Thank you so much CH 😘
Wonderful way to celebrate your better half’s birthday. Be blessed.
Awesome recipe…Loved it..Very nice pictures..
Thank you so much Anshu 😊
I also love the smell of the rain and I could watch the rain all day! I agree with you that rain should come with a cup of tea and a good cake such as this one. Thank you for bringing along with you at Fiesta Friday party!
👍🏼 you are most welcome Jhuls 😘happy FF to you and a wonderful weekend
I love boozy desserts, this one is just beautiful to look at (no doubt delicious too). Happy FF:)
Me toooo 🙂 ssshhhh! Thank you so much for stopping by. Happy FF to you too
Love that dark chocolaty cake!
Thank you Megala 🙂
Whiskey and chocolate, a match made in dessert heaven.
Yes it is 🙂 thank you for stopping by Tracey. 😘 good weekend
Thanks for this lovely treat, it really looks delicious and the photos are so lovely!
Thank you so very much 😊
I find most fascinating that you took cake pictures outside. I should do that more often. It gives it a fresh look.
And the cake looks like a beauty, no doubt about that. Thanks for sharing the recipe, cakes with booze are always (OK almost always) delicious!
Thank you so very much Jenny! I love clicking pics outside – exactly for the same reason you state – looks so fresh. 😊😊
Wishing him a very happy birthday. And the cake sounds delicious.
Thank you so much Sumith. It was indeed delicious
WEll there’s nothing wrong with THESE photos! Yum! That glaze sounds so perfect with the cake.
Thank you in tons 🙂 it’s getting better yes! The cake turned out so awesome and moist and the glaze yum 🙂
Thank you Karen 😊
Would be a hit with me too! <3 Happy Birthday to your husband.
Aww thank you so much Aruna 🙂
This sounds great and looks delicious 😊..no doubt 😊
Thank you so much Lathiya 😘
Lovely cake and pictures. I am drooling. Yes, watching the rain is a good pastime.
Thanks a ton Jayashree 😊👍🏼
Looks like flavorful and delicious cake! This will be perfect for celebrate birthdays!
Absolutely right Uma 🙂 Enjoy!
I must say I DNT make boozy cakes ..due to my kids eating it.. but will give it a try when my girlfriend’s come over for a get-together! Looks scumpticous!
Thanks dear 🙂 sure do try it sometime
Best cake ever, perfect cross between a fudgy brownie and a decadent chocolate cake