Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake
What a year 2020 was, right folks? Wish you a very Happy & Prosperous 2021. One of the best things to emerge out of the current pandemic is the emergence of food trends. Dalgona Coffee was one such hot food trend. To be fair to its origins, Dalgona coffee has been around a lot longer than the current pandemic. Like many others I jumped onto the bandwagon to try out this trend, and boy I loved it.
WHAT IS DALGONA COFFEE?
Dalgona coffee is basically whipped sweetened instant coffee and very easy to make. It’s equal parts instant coffee granules, granulated sugar, and boiling water. Whip for a few minutes until silky, glossy peaks of whipped coffee form.
This year, I wanted to take this coffee craze sweeping the internet and turn it up a notch into a dessert. Therefore, a Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake or should I say a Chocolate cake with Dalgona Coffee Frosting using my basic chocolate cake recipe. This is the best chocolate cake. It is moist, fudgy, and simply perfect – all the best qualities you could ask for in a chocolate cake. Adding a silky, whipped Dalgona coffee, makes this fudgy chocolate cake even better and more delicious than the coffee drink itself! All you coffee lovers, I hope you do give this a try.
Here is how to make Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake:
For the Cake:
225 g Butter or Margarine
225 g Caster Sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
175 g All-Purpose Flour, Sieved
50g Cocoa Powder
1 rounded tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp milk
1/4 tsp coffee powder
For the Dalgona Coffee Filling & Frosting:
¼ cup or 14 grams instant coffee
¼ cup or 50 grams granulated sugar
¼ cup or 60 ml boiling water
½ cup or 112 grams mascarpone cheese, stirred until smooth
1 cup or 238 grams heavy cream
1 tablespoon or 8 grams powdered sugar
Bake the cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Grease and line two 8-inch round tins.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the remaining flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder with a metal spoon.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in warm milk and add it to the batter. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for approx. 25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Prepare the Dalgona Coffee Frosting:
- In the bowl, add the instant coffee, sugar, and boiling water.
- Whisk by hand or hand mixer for 30-60 seconds until the mixture begins to thicken a little and get frothy and has increased in volume.
- Whisk on medium to high speed for a few minutes until stiff peaks form and the coffee is a light brown colour.
- Add the mascarpone, heavy cream, and powdered sugar.
- Whisk, starting on low speed and gradually increase speed, until mixture is light and fluffy about 1-2 minutes.
Fill and Frost the Cake:
- Once the cakes have cooled, level both cakes by trimming the domed top off with a serrated knife or a cake leveler if needed.
- Frost one layer with about ½ the Dalgona coffee frosting. Top with the second cake layer and frost the top with the remaining coffee frosting.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and serve
For more Chocolate cake recipes:
Chocolate Victoria Sponge Cake
Chocolate Whiskey Cake with Caramel Sauce
Magic Black Bean Chocolate Cake
Boozy Red Wine cake with Red wine ganache
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache frosting
Please subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Instagram Handle: @my_culinary_saga
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,
7 thoughts on “Dalgona Coffee Chocolate Cake”
Hmmm. Coffee + Cake = Deliciousness. ☕️🍰
Thanks so much for that amazing comment
Of course! 👏
What a fun take on dalgona coffee Trupti! I somehow have still not tried it… but I think a dalgona-inspired cake is more up my alley than the coffee itself 🙂
Wishing you a wonderful 2021!
Thanks so much 🤗! I look forward to seeing your version of the cake