With preparations for Diwali in full swing, I have a long list of sweets and snacks to be prepared in the coming days. And one simple dessert is Sandesh. As mentioned in my previous post ‘Sandesh’, this is truly an inherent part of festivities in Odishi and Bengali culture. Sandesh over the years has truly become a ‘messenger’ of auspicious news creating an atmosphere of celebration and jubilation in many households.
The base for this sweet is curdled milk (chenna/paneer) and this time heart desires a variation with Pistachios. The green lends a gorgeous colour and the pistachios enhance the punch of a flavourful treat.
These tastes sublime! Let’s get to the recipe.
Serves: 15– 20 pcs
1 litre full fat milk
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup or 75 g powdered sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tablespoon crushed pistachios
few drops of pista /rose essence
few drops of green food colour
chopped pistachios for garnish
- In a heavy bottom pan, bring milk to boil. Keep stirring so the milk doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn. This will also ensure the cream not to accumulate on the top while boiling. If you see cream collecting on top; remove with the help of a spoon and keep aside.
- Now, gradually add lemon juice and stir gently. You will notice that the milk starts curdling at this point.
- Once all the whey is separated, strain the paneer/chenna into a cheesecloth or a muslin cloth. Do not squeeze hard at this point. The paneer/chenna should be moist and not dry out. Hang the cheesecloth for 30 minutes so the water is drained out naturally
- After 30 mins, you can either knead the dough with your palms or blitz the paneer/chenna in the food processor to make a smooth paste
- Now add powdered sugar and cardamom powder and knead well again. Adjust sweetness as desired
- Transfer the dough to a skillet on medium heat and cook for few minutes. Make sure you stir constantly since you do not want the mixture to dry out.
- You know the mixture is ready when it looks a little crumbly but not dry.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool. Add green colour, pista / rose essence and crushed pistachios. Bring it all together
- Divide the prepared mixture into equal walnut-sized balls or into desired shapes using Sandesh moulds or hands
- Garnish with pistachios and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Check out more Indian treats, below:
Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Have a lovely weekend.
Love & Hugs,