Pedas always make an appearance during Hindu festivals or celebrations. But they are so delicious that they can be served at any time. Many Indian sweets like pedas are traditionally made with khoya (condensed milk solids) as the main base. Khoya is made by simmering whole milk for a few hours until it has reduced into solids. As you can imagine, making khoya from scratch lengthens the peda making process to extremes. Hence many choose to buy this premade or use substitutes like ricotta cheese or milk powder to shorten the process.
I shared a Malai Peda recipe using homemade paneer/ricotta cheese but this time I chose to make Milk peda’s or Doodh Peda using milk powder. Mainly because they were quick to make and I was pressed for time. Made a batch of these for Diwali this time. These beautiful little pedas are tiny bites of heaven that melt in the mouth.
Here is how to make Milk Peda or Doodh Peda at home. Trust me, 15 mins to make this straight out 😊
Makes 15 approx
1 cup (100 g) powdered milk
150 ml sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp milk, warm
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
2 pinches saffron
Pistachios, chopped for garnish
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot on medium-low heat.
- Add ghee and once melted, pour in condensed milk. Stir until well combined
- Add milk powder, milk, saffron and cardamom powder to the mix and incorporate well
- The mixture will come together in approx 5 minutes and leave the sides of the pan
- Let mixture cool a minute or two before rolling into balls
- Rub some ghee on a plate for placing pedas after rolling. This will keep pedas from sticking
- Once the mixture has cooled, rub some ghee on both palms. Use a small spoon to scoop about 1 tbsp peda mixture. Roll into a ball and slightly flatten with both palms. You can add more designs on it to make it look festive.
- Continue to roll pedas work quickly before mixture hardens
- Garnish each peda with pistachios
- Let pedas cool a few hours to firm up
- Enjoy 😊
Check out more Indian treats, below:
Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Have a lovely weekend.
Love & Hugs,