Pistachio Rose Cake
Pistachio Rose Cake
The best word I can use to describe this Pistachio Rose cake is enchanting! It is so a vibrant and indulgent cake. This Moroccan inspired recipe has been on my list to bake forever and have waited a long time to get good quality pistachios. If you like to bake with nuts, this is a must-try recipe.
Recipe credit to my good friend Hajar whose recent bake inspired me to finally bake this.
Have made a few modifications to the recipe to make it gluten-free, but it turned out just as expected. Absolutely delicious. Tastes just as pretty as it looked and I can’t think of a better flavour pairing of rose. I like this slight spiciness, or rather the tingling sensation on the palate it creates.
I should warn you, a little goes a long way in this recipe. So, it may look like fewer nuts, but it is a dense cake and heavy.
I couldn’t think of a better cake than this for my birthday – so here I am baking for myself on my special day.
Here is how I made this Pistachio Rose Cake:
For the cake:
- 100g pistachios
- 50g almond flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 112g butter, room temperature or oil
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp rose water
For the glaze and garnish:
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 2tbsp milk/water
- 1tsp pink colour (optional)
- 1tsp rose water
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Dried rose petals for garnish
- Chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C.
- Grease a small cake pan with butter and cover with baking paper
- In a food processor pulse the pistachios with the flour until finely ground. Do not over blend, else they release natural oils.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the butter/oil with the sugar and orange zest, and rose water until light and fluffy. Whisk the eggs one at a time until combined.
- Fold the pistachio and almond flour mixture, baking powder and salt with a spatula until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 175°C in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a clean toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve as is or with glaze.
- While the cake cools, prepare the glaze.
- To the icing sugar add water/milk & rose water until you achieve a pourable glaze. Add colour or mash a few pomegranate seeds to release come colour.
- Cover the cake with glaze with a spatula, and garnish with dried rose petals, pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios.
For more Gluten-free Cake recipes, check below:
Do try making this recipe and let me know if you like it as much we do.
Also, visit and subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Have a lovely week ahead.
Love & Hugs,