Spice Cake or Krydderikage
SPICE CAKE or KRYDDERIKAGE is a Danish-inspired recipe. It is moist, dense, and rich homemade spice cake filled with comforting fall spices and perfect on cold winter days. Read on if you want to make this Spice Cake.
I am a winter person and love the cold. “Hygge”, the Danish word for coziness, is about being inside with candles, great comfort food, and lots of cakes and sweets. This Spice cake recipe or a Krydderikage (as called in Danish) I share today is a lovely classic moist cake. For me, this signifies the taste of winter that combines all the hearty and rich spices of a warm winter dessert with sweet ingredients to satisfy ones’ sweet tooth.
Spice cake has associations with English traditions and tea companies, where it has been extremely popular for decades – and rightly so, because the spice cake is a moist and quite simple cake with many, exciting flavor nuances. This Spice cake belongs in a category of things you should bake to make your house smell wonderful.
Here is how to make Spice Cake my way. I hope you and your loved ones enjoy this dessert as much as we do.
250 g butter, room temperature or 250 ml oil
200 g brown sugar
200 ml milk
300 g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
½ teaspoon cloves powder
- Whisk brown sugar and eggs lightly with a hand mixer
- Add butter/oil and milk and mix till well combined
- In another clean bowl, sift all the dry ingredients until completely mixed. Then add it to the wet mixture. Fold until all the dry flour is combined
- Grease the cake pan thoroughly and pour the batter into it.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175 degrees hot air for approx. 45-50 minutes – it varies a lot from oven to oven.
- Test whether the spice cake is baked through by sticking a thin wooden skewer into the middle of the cake
- After the cake is done baking, turn it out on a rack, where it cools to room temperature
For more such cakes, check my :
Please subscribe to my Facebook Page: My Culinary Saga to get regular yummy updates.
Instagram Handle: @my_culinary_saga
Find me on Pinterest: My Culinary Saga
Love & Hugs,
8 thoughts on “Spice Cake or Krydderikage”
Spices are the secret to any good recipe, that’s for sure. 🍂
Absolutely 🙂 thank you for liking the post
I want to try this. Can you please tell me the measurements of the bundt pan you’ve used?
I used a mini bundt pan – https://www.amazon.com/Zenker-7686-Special-Kugelhopf-Black/dp/B00TV2HUP6
But you could also use a normal round cake pan
I was too excited to try it. So I used what I had which is a regular bundt pan. Turned out so well! Thanks for sharing!
Wow. I am so happy to hear that 🙂 please do share pictures with me if you can.
Couldn’t wait for your response because I was so excited to try it out. So I used a regular bundt pan. Loved it! Thanks for sharing